- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
- Granulated sugar
- Cream the butter and brown sugar, then beat in the molasses and egg
- Sift the flour, spices, baking soda and salt together, then stir into the butter mixture. Add the fresh and crystallized ginger, and stir until well blended. Chill dough two hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Shape the dough into 1-inch balls, roll in granulated sugar, then place them 2 inches apart on the cookie sheets. Bake 10 minutes, or until nicely browned. Cool on wire racks.
- melt butter in microwave to speed creaming
- substituted powdered ginger for finely chopped fresh ginger
- put sugar in shallow bowl to roll