- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 lbs boneless round steak, trimmed of fat and cubed
- reserved tomato juice, plus water to make 1 cup
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups whole baby carrots
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, drained and juice reserved
- 1 medium green pepper, slivered
- seasoning salt
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Sauté onion and garlic in margarine in large frying pan until onion is soft and golden. Turn into ungreased 3 quart casserole.
- Add beef. Add tomato juice mixture, bay leaves and pepper. Stir. Cover. Bake in 325F oven for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add next 6 ingredients. Stir. Cover. Bake for about 1 hour until beef is very tender. Remove and discard bay leaves.
- Stir water into flour in small cup until smooth. Gradually stir into beef mixture. Cover. Bake for 15 minutes until bubbling and thickened.
Beef comes out super tender; kind of an annoying recipe in that you need to take out the casserole dish and stir it twice during cooking; diced tomatoes would probably be better than annoying large stewed tomatoes