- 3-1/2 pounds tomatoes (about 11 medium), halved
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- Salad croutons and thinly sliced fresh basil, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°. Sprinkle vegetables with thyme, salt and pepper; toss in a bowl to coat. Place vegetables in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan; drizzle with oil. Roast until tender, 25-30 minutes, stirring once. Cool slightly.
- Process tomato mixture and basil leaves in batches in a blender until smooth. Transfer to a large saucepan; heat through. If desired, top with croutons and sliced basil.
Maybe blend more finely