- 1 pound regular white mushrooms, cleaned, quartered or sliced
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp minced shallots
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch dissolved in 1 Tbsp water
- Minced parsley for garnish
- In a food processor, coarsely chop mushrooms and lemon juice.
- Melt butter in (4-5 quart) sauce pan and lightly sauté shallots on medium heat. Add mushrooms, thyme and bay leaf, sauté over moderate heat for 10-15 minutes, or until the liquid that is released from the mushrooms disappears.
- Add salt, pepper, cream and chicken stock and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add cornstarch and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring constantly. Correct seasoning and add more lemon juice to taste.