- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 inches fresh ginger, grated
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper more or less to taste
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped, plus more for serving
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 3 cups chopped kale
- 2 cups cooked basmati rice
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic lightly smashed
- 1 tablespoon raw sesame seeds
- 2-3 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon paprika
1. Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. When the oil shimmers, add the onion and cook 5 minutes until soft. Add the ginger, garlic, and sweet potatoes and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Stir in the garam masala, turmeric, and cayenne and cook another minute.
2. Add 3 cups water. Season generously with salt. Bring the mix to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer 15-20 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are tender.
3. Stir in the coconut milk and kale, cook 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the cilantro.
4. Meanwhile, make the chili oil. Heat the olive oil and garlic in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally until the garlic is fragrant, 5 minutes. Stir in the sesame seeds, chili flakes, and cumin seeds, cook 30 seconds. Remove from the heat and stir in the paprika. Season the oil with salt. Let cool.
5. To serve, divide the rice among bowls and ladle the stew overtop. Spoon over the chili oil and top with cilantro. Serve with Naan on the side. Enjoy!
1. Set Instant pot to sauté. Add the olive oil and onion and cook 5 minutes until soft. Add the ginger, garlic, and sweet potatoes and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Stir in the garam masala, turmeric, and cayenne and cook another minute.
2. Add 3 cups water. Season generously with salt. Cover, select the manual setting, and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
3. Once done cooking, use the quick release function and release the steam. Set the Instant pot to sauté. Stir in the coconut milk and kale, and cook 5 minutes. Turn the instant pot off. Stir in the cilantro.
4. Finish as directed above through step 4.
Add the cilantro as a garnish rather than into the stew itself