- 4 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs, divided
- 6 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 to 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cans (6 ounces each) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Lemon wedges, optional
- In a large bowl, lightly beat the egg whites and egg. Add 3/4 cup bread crumbs, chives, flour, pepper sauce, baking powder, salt and pepper; mix well. Fold in crab. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Place remaining bread crumbs in a shallow bowl. Drop crab mixture by scant 1/4 cupfuls into crumbs. Gently coat and shape into 1/2-in.-thick patties.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook crab cakes in oil in batches over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. If desired, serve with lemon wedges.
Pack the cakes before cooking them so they don't fall apart