- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 2 ½ pounds red potatoes, diced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup milk
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Green onion
- Shredded cheese
- Turn on a multi-functional pressure cooker (such as Instant Pot®) and select Saute function. Add olive oil and let heat for 1 minute. Add bacon and cook until bacon is crispy and fat has rendered out, about 8 minutes. Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate using a slotted spoon.
- Add onion and celery to the bacon drippings and cook for 2 minutes. Add garlic and thyme and cook for 1 minute. Cancel Saute mode. Add potatoes and broth. Close and lock the lid. Select high pressure according to manufacturer's instructions; set timer for 8 minutes. Allow 10 minutes for pressure to build.
- Release pressure using the natural-release method according to manufacturer's instructions, about 10 minutes.
- Whisk together 2 tablespoons of milk and cornstarch in a small bowl to make a slurry. Open the pot and stir in cornstarch slurry and 1 cup of milk. Season with salt and pepper. Let soup sit, stirring several times, until thickened, about 10 minutes. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with bacon.