- 4 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 pound beefsteak tomatoes, quartered
- ½ teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon coarse kosher salt
- ¼ cup neutral cooking oil, such as grapeseed
- 8 ounces 1-inch fideo (3 cups)
- 2 celery stalks, whole
- 1 carrot, whole
- 1 dried bay leaf
- Add the garlic, tomatoes, red-pepper flakes, cumin and salt to a blender, and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat a medium pot over medium, then add the oil. Add the fideo to the hot oil and cook until toasted and aromatic, about 5 minutes. Be sure to constantly mix the fideo so it toasts evenly.
- Reduce the heat to low, then add the blended tomato mixture.
- Add 5 cups of water to the pot, along with the celery, carrot and bay leaf. Mix and taste for salt, adjusting if necessary.
- Increase to medium heat until simmering, then reduce to medium-low. Cook for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the fideo is cooked through, the soup has melded together and the liquid has thickened.
- Remove the celery, carrot and bay leaf, and discard. Serve soup in bowls and top with any of your favorite sopa de fideo toppings.
- Simple and delicious! Much better fresh than reheated; it tastes pretty indistinguishable from spaghetti and marinara sauce in the latter case
- Canola oil is also neutral cooking oil