- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt divided
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 small yellow onion finely chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne
- 1 can no salt added tomato sauce (8 ounces)
- 1 can light coconut milk (14 ounces)
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- Prepared brown rice or naan, for serving
- Fresh cilantro, for serving
- Season the chicken with 1 teaspoon kosher salt and set aside.
- Add the butter to an Instant Pot and set to SAUTE. Once melted, add the onion, garlic, ginger, garam masala, chili powder, cumin, turmeric, and cayenne. Cook, stirring often, until the onion is soft and the spices are very fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken pieces, stir to coat with the spices and onion, and cook, stirring often, just until the outsides start to brown, about 4 minutes. Add the tomato sauce and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on HIGH pressure for 8 minutes. Vent to immediately release the pressure.
- Uncover and stir in the coconut milk. Turn the Instant Pot back to SAUTE. Bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring occasionally, and let it continue to simmer until the sauce thickens slightly, about 10 to 15 minutes. Turn the Instant Pot off, and then stir in the peas. Let cool for 3 to 4 minutes, and then stir in the Greek yogurt (do not stir in the Greek yogurt right away or it may curdle). Enjoy warm with rice or naan and a sprinkle of fresh cilantro.
Sauce was a bit thin... probably could use thicker coconut milk, yogurt, etc.